Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Stay Strong...Cure FA




God uses those who depend on Him. In most cases He uses the most unlikely of people. You know those people who aren’t “strong” in the eyes of the world. However, when I think of someone who is strong, my mind reverts to Natalie Newman my dear friend.

In the spring of 2010, I remember receiving texts messages from her mother asking for prayer. I remember going to Children’s Hospital to see her and pray for her. I remember sitting in the waiting area as Natalie’s family received the news. Natalie was diagnosed with Friedreich's Ataxia (FA).

What is Fridreich’s Ataxia?

Friedreich’s ataxia (FA) is a debilitating, life-shortening, degenerative neuro-muscular disorder. About one in 50,000 people in the United States have Friedreich's ataxia. Onset of symptoms can vary from childhood to adulthood. Childhood onset of FA is usually between the ages of 5 and 15 and tends to be associated with a more rapid progression. Late onset FA (LOFA) can occur anytime during adulthood. FARA is supporting research that will improve the quality and length of life for those diagnosed with Friedreich's ataxia and will lead to treatments that eliminate its symptoms.

Living with FA

My friend “Natalia Gene” and her family are very close to my heart. Her dad was one of the men that God used to lead me to faith in Jesus. Her mother helped organize my wedding. And of course her siblings…let’s just say I have too many stories about them.

As you can imagine living with FA is not only difficult for Natalie but also it has taken a toll on her family. Yet, Natalie is certain that God has a purpose for her, "I know God made me the way I am, so I can be a witness to other people.” At age 14 she is confident that God will continue to use her life to demonstrate His good news to those around her. And I am confident that God will sustain her faith as He unfolds His plan for her.

Fighting For a Cure

On March 23rd Ride Ataxia is holding their Third Annual Bike Ride in Denton. This event is held to raise awareness for FA. Natalie, her family, and many friends will be there.  
Would you please consider partnering was Natalie as she fights for a cure?

God has continued to bless Natalie and I know that He will use her life in great and mighty ways!

Stay Strong…Cure FA

No comments:

Post a Comment